If tests show
that you suffer from any of these abnormalities / dysfunctions,
you can view the treatment options available and discuss them with
your own medical doctor or consultant. These
treatments can only be undertaken with the permission and
supervision of your own medical doctor
These treatments will also need to be permitted and supervised by a cardiologist. Your cardiologist should liase with your medical doctor.
- A Cardiologist can advise on medical drugs and lifestyle changes to improve and normalise heart function. Medications to improve stroke volume, cardiac output and cardiac health will need to be considered.
- Improve Stroke Volume, Cardiac Output and Heart Health
The following can improve cardiac output, stroke volume, and cardiac efficiency - Hawthorn, Digitalis purpurea, Taurine.
- Dr. Paul Cheney
Heart treatments should try to reduce and normalise
IVRT, increase cardiac output, normalise score on Q test, reduce oxidative and nitrosative stress levels, and repair and normalise the mitochondria. This will involve several different treatments at the same time over many months. This involves
- Test for Lyme Carditis. This is caused by Chronic Lyme infection which is quite common.
- Protection of heart and blood vessels from oxidative and nitrosative stress damage
- Japanese Knotweed has has high levels of resveratrol and been found to be very protective of the heart and blood vessels in infectious illnesses and neurological and immune related illnesses
- The herb Hawthorn has antioxidant and cardio-protective properties. It has been used by medical doctors and herbalists to normalise heart function and strengthen the heart muscle for over two centuries in Europe and North America.
- Anthocyanins and foods containing anthocyanins such as blueberries, cherries, blackberries, elderberries, bilberries, chokeberries (highest anthocyanin content), black raspberries. The herb buckwheat also protects blood vessels from oxidative damage.
- Cocoa has very strong antioxidants which protect the heart and blood vessels
- Sathyapalan T
. High cocoa polyphenol rich
chocolate may reduce the burden of the symptoms in chronic fatigue syndrome. Nutr J.
2010 Nov 22;9:55. PMID: 21092175
- Tomatoes / Lyocpene is an antioxidant which has protective effects on blood vessels
- Green tea has protective effects on heart and blood vessels
- Sachdeva, A K; Kuhad, A; Chopra, K (2011). "Epigallocatechin gallate ameliorates behavioral and biochemical deficits in rat model of load-induced chronic fatigue syndrome". Brain Research Bulletin 86 (3–4): 165–72. doi:10.1016/j.brainresbull.2011.06.007. PMID 21821105.
- Sachdeva, A K; Kuhad, A; Tiwari, V; Arora, V; Chopra, K (2010). "Protective effect of epigallocatechin gallate in murine water-immersion stress model of chronic fatigue syndrome". Basic & Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology 106 (6): 490–96. doi:10.1111/j.1742-7843.2009.00525.x. PMID 20088847.
- Sachdeva, A K; Kuhad, A; Tiwari, V; Chopra, K (2009). "Epigallocatechin gallate ameliorates chronic fatigue syndrome in mice: behavioral and biochemical evidence". Behavioural Brain Research 205 (2): 414–20. doi:10.1016/j.bbr.2009.07.020. PMID 1964314.
- Singal A
. Green tea extract and catechin ameliorate chronic
fatigue-induced oxidative stress in mice.
J Med Food.
2005 Spring;8(1):47-52. PMID:
- Olive leaf extract and olive leaf soups have strong antioxidant properties which protect heart and blood vessels
- Turmeric is a strong antioxidant with cardio-protective properties.
- Acai berries possess the strongest antioxidant properties of any food. They protect blood vessels, the heart, human organs and human tissues.
- Take antioxidant Vitamins and supplements - Vitamins A, C, E, CoQ10 (400 mg or greater), B-complex, and minerals Magnesium, Selenium, Zinc and Grapeseed Extract, Resveratrol, raw garlic, raw onions, gojii berries
- Arginine is required for nitric oxide production
- Ginkgo Biloba protects blood vessels and produces nitric oxide
- This cardiac dysfunction may be linked to Mitochondria abnormalities, Oxidative stress. Take the following tests and accompanying treatments, if abnormalities are found.
- Micro circulation abnormalities
Some ME patients have benefitted from Vitamin B12 injections, with does ranging from 4,000 to 6000 mcg per day. This along with omega 3 fatty acids and magnesium resolves the abnormal blood cell structure commonly found in ME patients according to studies by Mukherjee and Simpson
Simpson LO. Myalgic encephalomyelitis. Letter. J R Soc Med 1991;84:633.
L. O. Simpson, 'The Role of Nondisocytic Erythrocytes in the Pathogenesis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome',
The Clinical and Scientific Basis of ME/ CFS [Ottawa, Ontario: The Nightingale Research Foundation, 1992], p. 597
Mukherjee TM, Smith K, Maros K. Abnormal red-blood-cell morphology in myalgic en-cephalomyelitis. Lancet 1987;2:328-329.20. Simpson LO. Nondiscocytic erythrocytes inmyalgic encephalomyelitis. N Z Med J 1989;102:126-127.21.
Simpson LO, Murdoch JC, Herbison GP. Red cell shape changes following trigger finger fatigue in subjects with chronic tiredness and healthy controls. N Z Med J 1993;106:104-107
- The Homeopathic remedy CARDINORMA spag. helps normalise heart functions.
- According to some studies, D-Ribose can improve cardiac function.
- The herb Hawthorn has been used by doctors and herbalists to normalise heart function and strengthen the heart muscle for over two centuries in Europe and North America.
- Chlorella has cardiac protective properties
- Re-designating old medical drugs for CFS Treatment
CFIDS Association of America has got Biovista ( http://biovista.com ) in the USA to engage in research and data mining of thousands of medical drugs (including some which are currently out of use) and find matches between them and the symptoms, abnormalities and dysfunctions found in ME. They are compiling a list of these medical drugs. Safety guidelines, side effects, clinical reports and general efficacy and other factors will also be taken into account for each medical drug
- Stress Reduction
In addition to getting medical treatment for immune system, krebs cycle and methylation cycle dysfunctions, infections and other biological abnormalities and dysfunctions one should also get Stress Reduction treatment as all physical illnesses including Cancer, AIDS, ME, Multiple Sclerosis, Fibromyalgia, autoimmune illness, Cardiac related illnesses, advanced Diabetes, etc. causes great stress for patients. Click here for Stress Reduction treatment
Research articles & Clinical Findings
- The New York ME clnic, run by Dr. Enlander, has had some success with EECP treatment - http://www.enlander.com/#!our-services/vstc1=eecp
- some ME clinics use this. See listing of clinics in Diagnosis and Treatments section