|Methylation Cycle Blockage and Defects, Glutathione Depletion & and their effects on Immune system function
Scientific and Medical Evidence - Listing of Research conducted worldwide section :
Methylation cycle blocks and glutathione deficiency .
Some useful information about Methylation Cycle blockage in ME /CFS patients
Rich van Konynenburg outlined the following factors which connect methylation cycle blockages and defects to ME and CFS. Methylation is essential for the following :
- To produce vital molecules such as Co Q-10 and carnitine (for the mitochondria and Krebs cycle)
- To switch on DNA and switch off DNA. This is achieved by activating and deactivating genes by methylation. This is essential for gene expression and protein synthesis. Proteins of course make up the hormones, neurotransmitters, enzymes, immune factors and are fundamental to good health. When viruses attack our bodies, they take over our own DNA in order to replicate themselves. If we can't switch DNA/RNA replication off then we will become more susceptible to viral infection.
- To produce myelin for the brain and nervous system
- To determine the rate of synthesis of glutathione which is essential for detoxification
- To determine the rate of synthesis of glutathione which is an essential anti-oxidant as glutathione-peroxidase. Furthermore oxidative stress blocks glutathione synthesis
- To control sulphur metabolism of the body, not just glutathione but also cysteine, taurine and sulphate. This is an important process for detoxification.
- As part of folic acid metabolism. This also switches on synthesis of new DNA and RNA.
- For normal immune function. The methylation cycle is essential for cell mediated immune function and blockages here will mean that infections will not be adequately dealt with. This also includes control or suppression of latent viral infections.
The Methylation Tests
The following web sites provide information about diagnostic tests:
- MTHFR gene mutation found in some ME and CFS patients
The Human Genome Project found that this gene has been found to be mutated or abnormal in many people. Some ME and CFS patients have this genetic abnormality. This causes methylation cycle blockage, immune system abnormalities, thyroid and endocrine abnormalities, excess inflammation, antioxidant deficiencies, high homocysteine levels, arteriosclerosis and cardiac abnormalities, fatty liver, increased Cancer risk, neurotransmitter abnormalities and mood disorders, IBS, detoxification deficiency, multiple chemical sensitivity, cell growth and maintenance abnormalities. All of these are commonly found in ME and CFS patients.
- DNA Methylation Pathway with Methylation Pathway Analysis
Some more info
Source: Video Lecture by doctor
- Health Diagnostics and Research Institute (formerly Vitamin Diagnostics Inc.)
South Amboy Medical Center 540 Bordentown Ave.,
Suite 2300 South Amboy, New Jersey 08879
Tel +1 732 721 1234
Fax +1 732 525 3288
- Redox Control
"All CFS cases are toxic to oxygen by echo derived IVRT response criteria as against 1/3 of healthy controls who are mildly toxic to oxygen but when probed carefully are not as healthy as they purport to be."
Dr. Paul Cheney, The Cheney Clinic, USA.
- Test for oxygen toxicity by echo derived IVRT response criteria.
- Test for poor or defective redox control. Poor redox control is found in most ME patients and is related to mitochondrial dysfunctions. It may also be responsble for low sedimentation rates due to oxidative damage to blood cells. These tests are highly recommended by Dr. Paul Cheney.
- Test for
low GSH/GSSG ratios, low NADPH, low SOD or GPx function. Dr. Cheney typically finds
low GSH/GSSG ratios, low NADPH, low SOD or GPx function in his medical practice.